Sunday, April 20, 2008

gettin lucky on prom night?




Before the prom Mick gives his boys a talk about how to act at the prom. Mick likes to conclude this talk by telling his baseball boys that the only person who should get lucky on prom night is him. Good luck with that one I say. I am hard pressed to look them in the eye after that little speech. I am sure they are thoroughly grossed out as well.

Anyways, we have been going to the prom together now for 4 years. Of course that isn't counting the year we were both at the prom when I was a senior and he was my teacher...we didn't go together that year of course. I don't remember him being there, but I am sure he remembers me in my lovely white and gold dress. Nice.

We went to see Paxton and the happy parents on the way to the prom. It isn't everyday you stop to see your knocked up best friend on the way to the prom...sorry there are too many prom jokes to be made. And most are only funny to me. Mick hadn't met Paxton and they hit it off immediately. I will have to say so far it seems that not only did Paxton hit the jackpot with his parents, but they seem to hit the jackpot with a very good kid. I have yet to hear him cry in his 3 days of being out of the belly. After that Mick and I headed to the prom where I enjoyed people watching and seeing some of his ball players.

I will digress for a moment because I know most of you are removed from the high school world and I wanted to rant a bit.

Most of the students behaved well. There were a few girls that had on dresses that were so short you could see far too much and most of those girls had to much junk in the trunk to be sporting the dress in the first place. Other than that there were holes cut out of dresses that made me thankful I have a boy...or maybe not. Poor Micah doesn't have a chance of guarding his heart or eyes when girls walk around half clothed...ok, wrong digression.

There was one boy who had a cane and a large wine glass with PIMP enscribed on it. He kept walking in to rooms and holding it up in the air...everyone would cheer and it was just disturbing to me. Sometimes these kinds of things hit me as humorous but this time I just wanted to go snatch it out of his hands and say, REALLY? pimp? is that what you want to be? Second of all he was white and not that attractive either, so the chances of him actually being a pimp were really very limited anyways. Kids today have no idea. Here was this middle class white kid thinking it is funny that he went to prom acting like a pimp. If only his momma knew how he was acting...or maybe she did know and thought it was funny.

It's official I am old and a real mother. I found myself almost talking to the silly kid. Even Mick had to say leave him alone. All I can say is the day that Micah even thinks about doing something remotely similar and stupid there will be consequences and reprecussions and they will be painful, no matter how old he is...

Other than that prom night was great and we were lucky to have a date, lucky to go see Paxton and lucky for nana to keep Micah...as for getting lucky in any other way I will keep that to myself.

3 comments:

The Kimmels said...

It was so great to see you on friday!! What a eventful weekend for you! Im glad you guys were able to get away for another evening together...even if it was around the "young pimps of d-ville". I would have been frustrated with that too...we are definitely old! ha! Ill call you sometime this week to see how things are going!

Summer said...

How fun! Amy is lucky to have you so close!! Glad yall got to go to the prom :-) I laughed at your story telling ability....

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by on the way to prom! Paxton is one lucky kid with a great "aunt", "uncle", and "cousin"??? Is that what he and Micah would be if yall were aunt and uncle?:-) You know me--I sooooo would have said something to that boy!!!!!!