Thursday, May 29, 2008

You never know...

Today was work as usual for Micah and I. He is teething something fierce so he has been in a really grumpy mood since last night but if we get out of the house he seems to do better and takes his mind off of it. We went to the chicken house to get some work done and he destroyed the office while I attempted to get a few things done. After I wrestled him two or three times we went to head home. Going out the door someone called me by my maiden name. Usually just my mom does that but I looked back and saw a girl I had not seen for a loooong time. When I was in high school our youth minister and basically our whole church took in a young troubled teen about 5 years younger than me. I helped take her to church and talk to her about her life. She lived in a trailer with her dad and often had home, school and just problems in general. She was so rebellious and didn't seem to listen to a word we said. The church then sent her to a school that happened to be across the street from my college in South Carolina. I would go visit her and encourage her not to run away or do stupid things. After college I didn't hear much about her... I thought she had gotten kicked out of that school and honestly figured she was headed down a pretty dark path. The girl I ran into today looked so different than that troubled teen I saw just a few years ago(ok, 6 years). She informed me she had truly found faith and a real relationship with Jesus, she now attends church and is getting married. It was so refreshing to see such a change in someone that really didn't seem possible. I tried so hard to help her and talk to her and often dropped her at her house in frustration... but it just goes to show that we can plant the seed but only God can make it grow. It was a neat reminder today from the Lord seeing how my last post went. It is as if He is reminding me that there is nothing I myself can do to change anyone but if I will trust Him and pray I will be amazed at what happens. There are so many areas of my life that I need to apply this truth! How often do we need to humble ourselves before such a great God!

2 comments:

The Kimmels said...

Great post. That's incredible. I told Amy that I have been meaning to call my bff. Just know that you are in my prayers. Hopefully we will catch up soon!

Sara said...

Hey, Steph! Sorry I haven't emailed yet...it's been crazy around our house. Definitely a great post. It's definitely convicting to find ourselves surprised by the things God does...O, we of little faith!