Tuesday, March 31, 2009

heart BEEP and advice

So today I made my first trip to the ob without my hubby but Micah was happy to fill in for him...and I think the nurses enjoyed his humor better than Mick's. So I don't think it is the only one Mick missed but the second child syndrome definitely makes things a little more lax. Thank you, Jesus that I am not as anxious about every little thing with this one. I mean I probably would be if I didn't have to keep chasing the bird everywhere. I thought Micah would enjoy hearing the heartbeat and he usually loves my dr office. But turns out he loves it in 30 minute increments. It only took us an hour too long! Seriously he did real well, and sat in my lap while Dr. S tried to find the heart beep (Micah's terminology) It took her a while and Micah decided that the static was frightening so I am laying there holding him...bad idea and getting anxious. She finally found what she said was the heartbeat but I didn't really hear anything. It could have been the crying drowning it out. Such a sweet moment:) So while I could start getting anxious I'll just trust the Dr. and hope in Jesus that everything is A Ok. While Micah disliked the whole "heartbeep" situation he loved telling everyone about it at lunch and talking to me about it. Too funny!

The other thing is I figure I want some feedback because we can't make up our minds. We had planned to take Micah to Walt Disney World over spring break because we have a free place to stay there and we haven't had a family vacation together and because this would be our one trip with Micah before a new baby. But as the time draws nearer we are wondering if it is worth it. We know that he wont actually remember the trip (I actually remember parts of my first trip when I was 4 but only because I was traumatized by the huge Goofy character). We know that we haven't ever traveled that far with him and we know we will be spending some cash. We also know our sleep patterns will all pay with a change in venue. It could be alot of fun and nice to get away but we aren't sure. So, my question is do you think its worth it? I'll take any opinion but especially those who've been with children. I can't really remember it that well because it has been since high school that I visited the kingdom. No promises that you will affect our decision but just soliciting advice:) Thanks!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I said something to my mother about ya'll going... they took all six of us when I was 13 (this means my two youngest sisters where under the age of 2). They were miserable and my mother reminded me of it. Her exact words, "Oh, he won't remember anything about it and he will be miserable." Take it for what it is worth, but I'd save the money and stay closer to home and enjoy the trip with both kiddos when they are older. Love ya! If you do go, I hope you prove my mother wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

i think you should totally go...we went in january with the youth, and the whole time we wished that taylor would have been with us - there was so much we wanted her to see/do/experience. We must have said the line "ooo...taylor would like this" 100 times. we thinking about going with her next year if we can swing it. we know it would have been a disaster trying to take care of her and the 12 youth, but I think with 2 parents and one kid - it would be lots of fun. There were tons of little ones there and they looked like they were having a good time. I think the trick is to not try to cram too much stuff in one day - and do the fast pass for any rides/shows so you don't have to battle him in lines. and they let you take in food and drinks, so I would pack lots of goodies to save some cash and hungry toddler meltdowns. but I think he would have fun, and he can see the many pictures I know you will take.

Anne Marie said...

We went as a family last summer...Jonathan, me, Lauren, Chad, Ginny and Daniel. I absolutely loved it, BUT I whined the entire time about all the walking and walking and more walking and more walking and how hungry I was and all the walking. We even said pretty much every day how we could not even imagine taking a child under the age of 4. We didnt have children with us, but we sure watched the people around us with them. We went in July and while most things we didnt wait in lines to terribly long for, it was so crowded and I left with a bad taste for other people (they become line breakers and shovers. there was a little girl in a line behind us one day and she stepped and bumped into me so many times that one I stopped counting how many times she did it and I actually said something to her twice) and being in big crowds. It was an absolutely WONDERFUL trip, I just know how much I complained the whole time. However, we did have some friends go the summer before she had her second and she took her 4 year old and they had no complaints. Also having an opportunity to stay for free does not come often. Just food for thought.