Monday, March 16, 2009

My Public Service Announcement

WARNING: This post is personal and a bit disturbing so if your curiousity doesn't win out and you aren't interested in some serious gyno issues then don't read it.

ALSO, I am writing this post because I want some good to come our of our trial. This isn't just a fun way to post our thought to be dirty laundry.

AND, this post probably wont go in the blog scrapbook for sure.

So I mentioned previously about some test results not being good and making me stressed. Thereafter I didn't blog for a week because I was so embarrassed by what had transspired. I got the call Friday before last about all my initial ob bloodwork, everything looked great except for one small problem, the nurses words not mine. She stated I had chlamydia and that she would call in an antibiotic. I sat on the phone in shock trying to figure out what in the heck she was talking about finally I manage to ramble on about being a virgin when I got married and that we had been married 5 years...could I get this from the toilet seat? She continually stated it was a "sexually transmitted disease" I finally said, so what you're saying is my husband is cheating on me, to which she responded with her favorite line "it's a sexually transmitted disease". I called Mick hysterical and so confused he ended up coming home from work to try to talk to the nurse and ask her the questions that I had methodically written down from my internet pi skills. He did assure me that he had indeed NOT cheated on me and I really didn't need to ask...but it was nice to be reassured. The nurse finally says I can be retested. The thing is I didn't want to be retested...weird, huh? I didn't want to go through all the embarrassment of seeing people and there was that fear of what if this just jumped up there at the doctor's office or something? But my dear friend April (the only one I was brave enough to confide in and close enough not to judge me) basically said, you have to go, you'll regret it if you don't. I did go, and I would have regretted it had I not. I did sob through the whole thing while pitying nurses looked on thinking I was foolish not to know that my husband was running around on me. My Dr. on the other hand was positive it was a mistake and did some extra tests to be sure. She seemed to be the only one that believed me. Then the waiting began. Mick had to make the walk of shame as well to his doctor since his faithful wife tested positive he had to be checked too...and since I didn't get all the test results for a full WEEK later we didn't know it was all in vain. My doctor finally called saying she was sorry for the stress and that I did not have the dreaded std. I did ask her to talk to the nurses about a little sensitivity in someone's worst nightmare of a moment.

All this to say, if you ever question any test at the doctor's office, go get retested. They still aren't sure where the mix up was with mine. There could possibly someone out there with an std that doesn't know it. I was worried about the whole retesting thing but either way I am glad we have an answer. And our marriage has withstood a very trying test.

LAST THING, if you have an std this post isn't really about the std itself or to judge you. This whole situation brought up alot of issues that I don't think appropriate to blog about but virtually "having" an std for a day made me very sympathetic to the way you must feel. So please don't take this post the wrong way, it is only to say that mistakes are made more often that we know I think.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That is so insensitive of the Dr's office nurses! I can't believe that - but I guess they "discover" this kind of stuff sometimes and have had more "discoveries" that women didn't know about than just mistakes. Obviously - SO glad yours was a mistake!

Mick said...

A note from the husband:
Satan can't get us with a wrong test result!!
The week from hell for us came to an end and it is good to know our marriage can stand up to anything. There was no warning that a screw up at a Dr. visit could be so embarrassing and cause so much time lost to nothing, but we made it through.
P.S.-It's a good feeling to be able to trust the one you marry no matter what a Dr. says.

ILOVEU Steph

Maggie said...

oh my goodness. i just love you guys.

The Kimmels said...

I can't believe this! So embarassing BUT Im glad everything is ok with you & baby Harper!