Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mohawk Men


t

Mick and Micah both had Mohawks for the boys as they kept winning during the season. I even had a friend Brittany die purple in mine. I will say a mohawk on a grown man, not exactly a good look. But I understand Mick wants to be apart of the team. I made the mistake of mentioning to Micah if he'd like one and as soon as he said yes, Mick had the clippers going. Those two are quite the pair and I will say if you want attention shave your kids hair into a mohawk. We get lots of looks and comments...thankfully Mick shaved his off but I am not sure what to do with Micah's now. I do NOT want a skinhead three year old. It is a good look for some (like Mick) but it just makes my baby look way too tough. We'll see who wins that battle soon:)

Sidenote:Took sweet SayJ back to the doctor today and another ear infection was the verdict. One more and we are looking at tubes before next winter! Yuck. We will see how this summer goes. I sure don't want to go that route but it did make a big difference with Micahbird.

I keep meaning to post Mick's article that was in the paper. Yep, I am married to a journalist:) Just teasing. Mick took this season to heart and wrote a letter that he hoped would get published somehow. The nice sportswriters in the sentinel actually put it on the front page of the sports section. What a blessing and a huge witness for our family. We are so proud of Mick and the impact he makes on our family and all the players, as well as their families. Mick takes things well and handles all of the hardships and challenges of being a coach so well. Let's just say, we wont be publishing MY editorial take on the season any time soon...So here it is...I will warn you that my Dad, who never cries, cried when he read it...that meant more than anything to Mick to see that it meant something to others.

It’s Not Whether You Win or Lose *

It’s whether we win!!

This is not the saying that most have grown up hearing, but don’t stop reading because you think this is some sports crazy nut that thinks winning is everything. Now that I have your attention, my name is Mick Harper, the proud coach of Chapel Hill High School’s Baseball and Softball programs, husband of the best wife, father of two beautiful children, and son of two great parents. I am a teacher, a coach, a father, a husband, and so many more things I cannot keep up with, but I just felt the need to publically talk about my other 50 kids, the tremendous athletes of Chapel Hill High School. I am writing this after a devastating loss in the Elite 8 round of the baseball state championships, but you just read that my belief is “It’s not whether you win or lose, it’s whether we win!” I believe this. Again, don’t stop reading; let me tell you what I mean. On May 19, I shed tears and witnessed tears from young men that hurt so badly because they lost a game, but they won so much more. These kids set school records in wins and made it further than any other group in the school’s history, but it still ended with a loss-NOT A DEFEAT! Over the last 4 months for some and 4 years for others, I have watch boys turn into men. I have watched 20 individuals turn into a family. I have watched a group of fans turn in to a crazy mob of supporters. I have watched seniors turn from upper classmen to older brothers. I have watched people battling for positions against each other lock arm and arm fighting and cheering for each other. I have watched what sports truly means-teaching young men and women how to live life the right way. The score board said we lost, but I witnessed the BEST bunch of WINNERS I have ever seen. I lived character being born and developed; brotherhoods lived out, and love for one another in action. What a privilege to be their coach! I WON, THEY WON, WE WON because we all got to be a part of this. I will end with this illustration and this is why I thank God for what I do. God gave us a picture of winning through defeat. So many people think Jesus lost when he died on the cross, but we know WE WON because of his sacrifice. Look at how God can use anything-even a game-to teach us what is important. God bless, Coach Mick Harper

2 comments:

The Kimmels said...

So proud of Mick! That's a hard job and you have to have a HUGE heart to do it!

Amy said...

Such a great article!!

On the hair issue---just one question--doesn't a mohawk make the baby look tough in itself?!??!? Hehehe! I say shave it off!

Love you!