Tuesday, March 30, 2010

There's No I in Team

This year has been a difficult year for Mick on the baseball field. When it started off we suspected it would be really fun. Great boys, great parents, alot of talent, etc. Why wouldn't it be great? And I thought that it BETTER be great if he is going to miss out on time with his own family to devote to it. But this team has been a challenge. Like I said, they are great kids so I am not trying to say they aren't. It just has made me way more aware of what we need to teach Micah, if we can. Mick has had multiple discussions on being a TEAM. He has had at least two separate incidents where good kids just made decisions totally based on their own egos and pride. It seems that most, not all, of the players play from a me myself and I mentality. They don't focus at all on the team and what is best for it. Even the parents seem to forget that at times. Which I totally get because that is our nature...to be looking out for ourselves first. Remember not long ago no one taught our precious Micah to say mine, he just inherently did it. Which is a whole theological session in itself. But my purpose of the blog is to just remind us to put others first. Mick is trying to find ways to get into these boys heads and teach them this...but I keep thinking...they are good kids, they have good parents...why don't they get it? So I come back to Micah and I think how in the world can we prevent him from having this same mentality. And how as parents when he gets on a team do we not constantly look out for just him. I mean that is kind of inherent as parents as well, ya know? But I know that God wants us to work together as brothers and sisters in Christ. We are to focus on the fact that we are the body of Christ, each part important, but needing the other parts. I know when Micah gets on a team we wont agree with everything his coach does, even if his coach is Mick:) But to be a team player and an example for Christ we will commit to submitting to that authority trusting he or she is doing what is best for the team. Remind me to come read this in a few years. For those of you with kiddos I am learning more and more the importance of team sports and the character qualities they bring out. Don't tell Mick though. I am definitely Mick's biggest fan and also his biggest critic (ok, his Dad might tie me on that one:)). Which is why I feel that I can say he works his booty off for those boys day in and day out and it makes me a little (ok, alot) frustrated when people don't see it. I mean I've got a kiddo at home begging his Daddy not to go to work so when someone doesn't appreciate what Mick is doing that is really tough for me to swallow. I digress, but I have often compared a Coach's wife to being a pastor's wife so I'll cover them both here and just say if you have a kid on a sport's team take it easy on the coach if he genuinely looks like he cares cut the man some slack. That is all for my soap box today. I better go find some pictures before I really step on some toes.

1 comment:

Deanna Chafin said...

Steph....if you step on some toes, then maybe they need to be stepped on. Coming from a parent of two former players that played for Mick all 4 years of their high school career, I can honestly say that Mick is a wonderful coach and a great example of a Godly man who is also a coach. He gives up time from his own family because he truly loves the game and the kids who play for him. Trust me when I say that one day the kids as well as the parents will appreciate all he has done for them and also for your sacrafices as well. Keep the faith!!!!! Love ya...Deanna