Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Plans"

Events. Dates. Prearranged gettogethers. Rsvps. Parties. You know making "plans". We in the Harper household rarely make any plans after the babies have come along. With all the nursing, napping, and other inconsistencies making plans in our house is like an act of congress. And just when you think you'll succeed at fulfilling plans...SayJ has a blow out and I am 30 minutes late if I am lucky. I digress, because this weekend we made "plans" and I should have known unless the plans were arranged 15 minutes prior to event time we were going to have a hard time going through with them. We had dinner plans with new friends for a family date and then Saturday I had invited some of my best friends over with their kiddos because Mick had a poker fundraiser for baseball. Beginning Wed. I began to wonder if we would make it. Thursday night was what I thought was my longest Momma night of my life. As I sat rubbing one babies back while nursing the much smaller baby while trying to keep them both quiet so the other would go to sleep at 3AM I thought of how bad I thought it was when just Micah was sick...but add two and mercy it is tough, I had no idea how easy taking care of one sick baby was compared to two. We headed to the doctor office Friday morning because sometimes when Micah gets a cold he has childhood asthma...which means he can't breathe and I freak out. We thought since we were going we'd have them check SayJ out since she had the sniffles and wasn't sleeping good. Micah just had something viral...with the good ole asthma scare...and SayJ had another stinkin' ear infection. Boo hiss. (I will state Micah has been unbelievably well this year as opposed to the last two cold seasons so I am still so thankful to God that He spared him this far!) We called the friends to cancel and their baby was sick too so she said she wasn't scared of our germs...so we made our Friday night plans at the Hanes house and administered antibiotics all around. Sadie Jane and Baby Rhett played so cute together and if Brittany ever gets me pictures I will put them up because they are hilarious. Then Saturday Micah seemed all the way better, we made our trip to the mall and he seemed great. We come home and Mick heads out and Micah goes nuts! For the first time in his life he refuses to take a nap. Crying, spanking, yelling, apologizing and so on. Finally I realize that the steroid and the breathing treatments combined were making him act like he was on some sort of speed. So as to not interrupt my "plans" friends and their kiddos make it over for dinner. Micah was so unkind to his friends that I almost cried. It was nice to have some of my bestest friends under one roof but I think in order to communicate with them we would need maybe a three day weekend to actually finish a conversation...in between...Micah don't hit Jaxson, Micah share...It did make me think trying to do that again might not be a good idea but going on vacation with friends would be just about the only way to find time to talk. Now I know why my parents did that. Anyways, I get baths done and last night was a bigger doozy than Thursday night. SayJ slept better but Micah was up half the night! Needless to say we are done with that medicine and we'll see how he does without it. He woke up better again this morning so apparently it is some sort of darkness sickness. Then I had also made plans to play tennis today. I did, and I won, but it wasn't pretty and I only fell asleep twice during the match.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." Proverbs 19:21

So I am taking that a little out of context but while I did accomplish my plans for the weekend and while I enjoyed the time spent with friends... I think God's purpose was for me to realize He is in control and that not having plans isn't such a bad thing after all. Also my heart just had too too many plans for one weekend and two not all the way well babies.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I so missed getting to see you guys this weekend! So sorry to hear the kiddos are not feeling well. If you need anything just let me know. I know how hectic it is during ball season!!!

The Kimmels said...

So sorry I missed the time with the kiddos. I can also relate to your post....not in the sense of having 2 kids under 3 but with having to realize that you can't always make plans and have them work out the way you wanted. It seems like its been happening to me A LOT lately. So frustrating! Lets get together SOON.