Friday, August 22, 2008

no good very bad day, no week, no month really...

So the last twenty four hours have been less than pleasant. I am aware they could have been far worse, but I found myself telling the Lord "you are kidding me, right?" about 4 times.
Things have been pretty stressful with work, Micah and dealing with my sister. Last night we were having a good night getting Micah ready for bed and brushing his teeth. He hates the toothbrush so I sometimes let him walk around and brush. Last night I handed him the toothbrush and he got one step away and fell on it. I thought it was going to be lodged in his throat. But oh no he gets up holding his eyes and squinting and there is blood coming out of his left eye. He was holding it closed so I went to get the toothbrush fully aware that his eyeball might be on it. Thank goodness it was not and Dr. Mick went to assessing the situation while I dealt with some pent up anxiety. His eye immediately started swelling shut and applying ice to a one year old is like trying to stand on the tip of a pencil. You just can't! I call the doctor/nurse line they say he is probably alright but we should go to the er anyways to have it looked at, since she can't see it over the phone. We pack up and head out, after I have a brief breakdown upstairs since it is virtually my fault that our child almost lost an eye. We get to the hospital and can't even find a parking space, great sign. Go inside and the nurse just smiles at me signing in with this look of good luck to you! After talking with a lady with appendicitis and a boy with staff infection we find it is going to be an hour to see the nurse and then about 5 to 6 hours to see a doctor. Mick and I talk to Aunt Amy and Uncle Brad who suggest we take him outside and stand him in front of a car to see if he can follow the light. Since none of our family was in town and we share the same pediatrician this is who we call. After I talk it out with Amy and then Mick we pack it up and head home, hopefully without any lifethreatening illnesses. I call the doctor again and get the actual doctor, she says he sounds fine bring him in the morning to get checked out. Which seems reasonable since that is about the time we would have been getting out of the er. We get up this morning and both Micah and I are in bad moods so I go to get us in the car and realize I can't find my keys...I left my purse in the car during our haste to get inside after our midnight ER run. AHHH...still family out of town and now Aunt Amy and Uncle Brad are at work. Mick has to come home and unlock my car and we finally make it to the doc's where I just happen to run into one of Mick's past girlfriends. I mean seriously I just kept laughing it was all to silly to be happening in 24 hours. We are home now and had thought about going to the lake, but I think we will just hibernate at home for a while and try to stay safe. Oh and lesson learned...Micah wont be walking around with his toothbrush anymore.

4 comments:

sara jackson said...

This coming from another mom of BOYS: "Don't beat yourself up!!" You can be really close and they fall too. It isn't your fault, girl. Smart decision about the ER, I can't stand that place. Glad that the outcome wasn't too bad. Oh and one time I was letting my child play with a hanger. He stuck it in his mouth and it was stuck. I was just sitting right there. We finally got it out and he was fine. The list goes on and on... Things happen, especially with boys. Take care and praying for you:)

Summer said...

Sorry you aren't having a very good week! But just think 1 week from today yall will be heading to the beach!!

beth ewing said...

when it rains...it pours.

Wendy said...

I love you. You are a fabulous mom, it was very evident when I was there. I am sorry that everything is so overwhelming right now. I hope you can truly rest this weekend, physically and spiritually.