Monday, June 16, 2008

A Father's View

Since yesterday was Father's Day and Stephanie ask me to participate in her blog, I am looking forward to letting you into Steph's other half. First and foremost, this blog thing is the best thing since sliced bread. I get to keep up with my wife and son throughout the day and especially baseball season by just pointing and clicking. As sad as it may sound, sometimes I can learn more from her post than I can when we are together because we always have "stuff" to do that gets in the way of communicating. So, THANKS to my wife for adding blogging to her list of terrific talents.

Now, yesterday was one of the best days of my life. Stephanie took care of me and let me relax and enjoy the day. We also got to spend some very important time with both our fathers and families. I have learned over the last year why God tells us that the importance in relationships goes from Heavenly, to spousal, to children, to family and friends.

There is nothing better or harder than raising a child. I have no idea how a single parent can do this job alone and I now have a new understanding of what women have to experience in order to raise a child the correct way. It becomes a total sacrifice of time, energy, resources, and everything else, but for the first time in your life, you know it is worth it. We have all been passionate about some aspect of our livesbefore, but I have never been more passionate about anything like Steph and I are about raising Micah. We hang on his every mumble, step, bite, fall, laugh, cry, etc. as we now talk to each other through him. Marriage changed me as ya'll know Steph has done a good job creating the husband I need to be, but Fatherhood has changed me even more. My priorities are based on my family, not mine anymore. My love is poured out more now than I knew I had in me. My life is now purposed feeled for a different reason. God has given me a son to raise and change my purpose in life again. It used to be my life as a son, or an athlete, or a teacher, or a husband, but now it is about being the Godly father I want to be. I am not there yet, but everyday I promise to learn, work, and attempt to be the best father and husband I can be. I have had a great set of examples from my parent and now that is my personal committment to my Heavenly Father. Thanks for reading this and Steph will be back later.
With love for Steph and Micah--Mick

2 comments:

beth ewing said...

yea for daddy's posting their feelings. this is so honest and raw. i love it! i know we've never met but i like you already.

Amy said...

That was great, Mick! I like this serious side of you:-)