Friday, April 22, 2011

How's Your Friday, Is it GOOD?

After I posted my incredibly superficial scrapbookin' post I started thinking about the fact that it is Good Friday and I hadn't really talked about it. I mentioned it to Taron earlier because we were talking about it is also Earth Day. It just rubbed me wrong that they fell together. Good Friday is such a GOOD day, but a HARD day, and no slams on recycling and keeping the earth going but I just don't like combining it with a day that bears so much MORE than that. This year Easter has fallen at a later time and for some reason I have definitely just not wrapped my brain around the season.

My family has a "gift" in that we can compartmentalize things and also live in lands that aren't quite reality. It's not a good gift but I got it somewhere along the line, from the freaker herself, sorry mom. There are really good traits I got from Jenny but I just fail to mention them on the blog, I'll try to fix that. Anyways, due to some current circumstances I've been living outside of some things as to not deal with them. Hmmm...such a healthy coping mechanism you say? We've been on vacation, we've been sick, we've been partying. No need to address things that are going on, right? Well, in some ways this "gift" has served me well, I've tended to business without falling apart. But, straying away from the elephant in the room, this is also what I think I've done about Easter.

We've just gotten busy with playing, shopping, Easter Bunny visits,"Egging" (another post to come and it does have redeeming points"), egg hunting, life, etc. I have failed to face the reality. The most important reality that we are celebrating the fact that today, Good Friday, is the day we remember Jesus died on a cross for our sins. He was hanging between two thieves, like a common criminal. Yet He was perfect....he bore my sins...your sins so that we could have eternal life. Because of Good Friday we are forgiven and restored, redeemed, renewed. Ahhhh. Beauty. Tears. Love. Overwhelmed. Then on Easter He did what makes Him who He is...He AROSE! If He had simply died on the cross today wouldn't be Good Friday at all. But the tomb was rolled away and Jesus wasn't inside. Praise the Lord He is alive today and we can worship Him. Amen.

Thanks for listening to my sermon. I am about to read it again because it is mainly for me. So that I can not live outside of the reality of who Jesus is and what He has done for me. But so that I can rest and relish in what Easter is, and so that I can share that joy with my children. Hope your Easter is blessed by the real reason. I pray I can hold onto truth and not be so enticed by all that world has that is "good" but doesn't compare with how Good my Friday's always should be!

John 19

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you for reminding us of that! Love you!