Monday, April 26, 2010

Who would want to leave this face?

Not me that is for sure:) Yesterday marked Sadie Jane's first trip to the nursery. I took her late and picked her up early but it counts people. Mick can stop reading here...because it was his ultimate decision and I choose to respect my husbands wishes on things where I know I tend to be a bit overboard. I mean I respect all of his decisions not just the ones where I go overboard, well maybe not some on the ballfield. Oh forget it, you know what I mean. But anyways Mick felt it was time for Sadie Jane to go to nursery so I took her.
The thing I wanted to talk about is who made it a sin not to take your child? For weeks when I walk in church and carry her to Sunday school I get lots of looks and lots of "You know there is a nursery, right?" All wellmeaning people but even the greeters at the desk start to ask me each week when she will go. Then I started to be ashamed for wanting to keep her with me. Now our Sunday School class is a different story, they all have kids in high school so they have made SayJ feel SO welcome in class and actually no one in there mentioned the nursery to me. They all actually waved goodbye to her yesterday when I took her and some mentioned they missed her in the class. Which was so sweet. Yesterday when I left her I was of course upset and I am sure no one meant to hurt my feelings but I felt like I was wrong for even having trouble leaving her. This is all from my perspective so please take into account that I am hypersensitive and might be a bit misleading in my telling. But I say all this because it made me want to work at the greeter desk and let people like me know, that indeed there was a nursery, but feel free to do what is best for your child and family. I know some children need to go to nursery, or some parents need their child to go, but nobody judges them for that, but if you choose the opposite you must be doing something wrong. I have said before that my babies don't really cry much when I leave them and if they did I would understand we might need to separate more every now and then to deal with it, but they don't. Anyways, just a thought. I just want people to understand that while they are wellmeaning each family has their own set of ways to handle things. I think those people who put there children in the nursery as babies are great people and I have no problem with them doing it....and since there are hundreds of babies in nurseries each Sunday I also realize that I am the minority:) So from that perspective I will continue to defer to Mick and put Sadie Jane there, but I am not excited about it.

2 comments:

EMU said...

You would fit right in at our church! We have more babies IN the service than in the nursery! Hehe. It took me 6 months to be able to put The Bop in the nursery, so I TOTALLY get you. She's my bud -- I want her with me! : )

Anne Marie said...

You know, I have often thought how long it would take me to want to drop mine off at the nursery. The short time you have when they are small like that is so precious. I am sure it will be hard for me too. Besides, I am a HUGE believer in teaching children how to sit in church and why not start them out young!! Either way she will be fine, but thanks for sharing how important it is to respect your husband as well!