Wednesday, January 20, 2010

what do you think?

So I have been reluctant to ask opinions of others in fear of ugliness repeating itself but I need the opinion of other Momma's. Ok, I don't "need" it...but I sure would like it:)

Being a Momma is still the best gift God has given me outside of salvation and a spouse. It is joy and sorrow, love and anxiety, peace and chaos all wrapped into one. I love it. While right now personally I am wrestling with alot in my heart...being a Momma is coming dare I say it: easier. I didn't say easy; I said easier. What I mean as opposed to impossibly hard it is only insanely difficult. Sadie Jane is mainly to thank for this. Her disposition calms me and brings me happiness. Micah's hysterical personality and incessant chatter keeps me cracking up. Life with my babies, while challenging, is my favorite mess to be in.

All that to say there are some areas that are giving us a little trouble ...

a) "operation poop in the potty" All roads have led to pullups. We've tried rewards, bribes, punishment nothing seems to work. We have tried putting him in big boy pants and not giving him a choice...boy held it for three days. So now he just asks for a pullup when it gets to be that time. He goes and we change him, then back to big boy land. He flat refuses to go in the potty. We know it is a control thing...the one way he can stick it to the man (or in this case, the momma) but we really don't know what else to do, any suggestions?

b) fits. If you haven't seen one of these you are a lucky soul. But lately Micah at a moments notice can throw himself full into a fit. He gets timeout or spankings for disobedience or if it is close to bed or naptime and he can't pull it together then he gets a free ticket to early nappy nap. Is this a phase? Is this normal? What do you do to stop this? Unfortunately something about this fitpitching makes me super angry...I wish it didn't but because I KNOW that he can turn it on or off it just really frustrates me. I usually have to walk out and count to ten. Today I didn't do that and I yelled at Micah. He looked up at me and said "Why you yelling at me, Mommy?" Ughh. Break my heart and stomp on it. I took my ten seconds and then apologized but boy do I feel crummy about my actions. He did stop the fit though.

c) cereal. Not the cheerios kind but the kind for Sadie Jane. We started Micah at 4 mths but he didn't really eat any til 5. When did yours start and does this mess or help with reflux? Just trying to decide what to do.

Now I know no two kids are the same..and so far mine are anything but ordinary on anything they do...but just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a GREAT Mom to start with!
I sure don't have real advice, but I can offer you what I have picked up with mine who are just a step or 2 ahead of yours (age wise, only).
1. Charlie had major POOP anxiety. It was absolutely awful. He wouldn't even go in his pull up - he held it until, well - you know how that goes! Finally one day, he just got it and has gone forward since then. My dr had us do mirolax and keep increasing it. She wanted it to be so that when he teeteed it just came out - didn't work, but it is worth a shot.
2. charlie is not a fit child, so I can't help there - now, his sister might be! She is quite strongwilled!! I totally recommend a book called Parenting by the Book -- it might help!!
3. Cereal- we started at 4 m with Charlie and waited until 6 m with MK. I have not noticed any difference with her reflux. She does, we have discovered, have a LOT of food intolerance/ potential allergies and cannot have any CEREAL. Crazy . . .
Good luck and keep us updated!!

EMU said...

Being a new mama, I can't really speak to the first two questions. But we did wait until 6 months to feed DAU food, simply because it was easier to wait and I love nursing her, so I wasn't in a hurry to start her on food.

Wendy Eidson said...

The cereal should help the reflux in most cases. Something heavier to keep down...

Tracy Carson said...

We are having the opposite issues in potty taining. LOves to go #2 in the potty. Owen gets a lollipop when he does and we do a poo-poo dance. #1 is hit or miss. HE is so funny because when we are our running errands or at church he will tell me he needs to go but most of his accidents come at home. I think he just gets lazy here. I am wondering if I can discipline because he obviously knows how and when to tell me but that is a whole different story... I guess the only advice would be major praise and celebration with the poo poos?!

Sara said...

We had issues with Bo holding his poop until he hurt and couldn't hold it any longer and he would go in his pull-up or underwear. You may have already tried this, but just in case...We told him that if he pooped in his pants that we would take away a major toy - all of his cars or all of his trains - these are the two biggies he always plays with. He wouldn't get them back until he pooped in the potty. For some odd reason it worked. We had also tried bribes - candy, small $1 toys, etc. Hope you find what works soon! You are doing great!!

blakley said...

I think your questions are ones every mama asks...
1. I worried myself to death over Maddie's success at the whole potty training thing. What a few mama's told me were "Have you ever met an adult that wasn't potty trained?" That answer frustrated me at first but looking back now I see the point. All kids do it in their own time. And some take longer than others. Promise, he will get it. It took Maddie a good six months after the arrival of new sissy for something to click and stick with her.
2. Fits...can't help ya there. My three year old stood at the top of the stairs yesterday with bulging eyes screaming..."I told you to get up here and play with me now!" Then went into a total meltdown...Let me know if ya hear any good advise! ;)
3. Cereal and the ability to be able to sit up by herself after meals seemed to help Maddie with her reflux.
Wow, sorry I wrote a book! And none of my answers are really answers that help fix the problems. But at least ya know you've got others who have and are experiencing the same ordeals in their home. Any advise on getting a three year old to sleep in her own bed? I would love an answer to that question! ;)

Sarah said...

I've got nothing for you on this one :)

I'll pray for you though! That's something!!

Love you!

Ginny Underwood said...

Well, from a mom with OLD kids, the potty training WILL happen. He'll get it. Just don't get upset with him, be patient and praise, praise, praise. The fits I might can give a little advice on. Jonathan was a fit-pitcher. I would just walk away and leave him. Without an audience, what good is a fit??? We started Jonathan on cereal at 10 weeks but that was because he wasn't getting full. I don't remember Lauren but my niece started her little one at 4 months. She's now 6 months and doing fine. I agree with your friend that said you don't see adults who are not potty trained. Jonathan was about 3 1/2. Don't stress over it. Ginny

Abbey said...

I agree with Katie. You are a great mom! I have no advice on tantrums but as far as cereal goes we started at 5 months and then interested vegetables instead of fruit a few weeks later. My little guy still loves vegetables best. I read somewhere that it's better because then they don't always want the sweet taste of fruit. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Val said...

Hey Steph! I agree with Ginny about walking away---they do it for attention!!! It's not always easy to do though!!
Try taking Micah to the store and let him pick out a couple favorite pairs of underwear. Then let him know that if he poops in them that they will be in the wash for a couple of days and he won't be able to wear them. Might work.........
Good luck!!! I think it is time for a get together soon!!!!
Love you!!!

Anonymous said...

oh boy do we have fits at our house. lucy specifically. and she's now 4. i thought it was supposed to end by 3, but we're still kicking hard on some days. so, i think for some children it is very normal. bella is more laid back and will do the occasional temper tantrum. lucy will scream and throw things for hours if she gets going. obviously we are still in the midst of it and feel totally incapable of doing it "right" when it's all happening, but a mentor suggested picking a spot (like a timeout) that she has to sit if she's going to act that way. we tell her that when she can calm down and stop screaming/crying we will come and talk to her about it. same idea ginny said about not getting the attention from the fit. we use the phrase "out of control" and pray for God to teach her how to control her emotions. she's also old enough for us to talk to her about it later, so we talk about how she's working on controlling her emotions... just like mommy is working on being patient with her. and of course i'm sure she tells her sunday school teacher that. :)
wish we lived nearby as well!