Wednesday, January 21, 2009

coming into our own...


I do my best thinking while rocking Micah (and sometimes myself) to sleep at night. I pray alot and just hash over things while singing the same 3 songs over and over. Last night I got to thinking that as a mom I have become a whole lot less anxious lately. Micah's last bout of sickness was really worrisome but since he's been well things have just flowed. There are a number of reasons why this is the case: we have a playdate friend, Mick has been home alot, Micah has been somewhat compliant, I have spent time with Jesus most days and mainly I think God has just blessed us for His own pleasure. And I have enjoyed it. Most of you know, or could just read the blog and see that I am an anxious person and tend to dictate my mood, etc. by circumstance. Things are still tough circumstantially but God has still been good. One of those things that we wont get til we get to heaven.
As far as Micah and I coming into our own...we really just have. A big part of that is Micah being able to communicate verbally with us. It makes him a much happier boy. He understands punishment better and therefore knows he doesn't want timeout or a spankin' unless the task at hand seems worth that risk. Don't get me wrong we have our days (and due to writing this we will appropriately have one tomorrow) but I thought I wanted to share (or at least record) the blessing. I seem much more suited as a mom to a child this age...I am goofy and that tends to fair well with a toddler. As a baby I constantly worried about every little thing (perhaps due to the first child syndrome, hopefully it will be different with the 2nd) Silly but Micah gets me now! So anyways this is just ramblings of a mom who should be working but prefers to be thinking about her child. Don't worry I don't think he IS the smartest or the cutest in the world. Just the smartest and cutest to ME. And as far as I am concerned that is the way it should be.
Another reason things are going well is that Micah makes me laugh so much that it is hard to be in a bad mood. I wanted to share some of his recent "episodes" to have documented:
~He is really fixated on money. Yikes! Right now it is funny though. He thinks credit cards are money so that should let you know what kind of "money" we spend. So today he says "Momma, money, money, money!"
I told him I didn't have any money that I was poor. (disclaimer: I realize I am no where near poor and probably shouldn't have said that...live n'learn) So anyways, he immediately changes gears and says "Pops, Pops, money, money, money!" The boy has got it figured out!
~A not so bright moment was when I looked up to see Micah tearing a circular piece out of his slice of bread...strange I think...then he proceeds to put the carefully torn piece into his eye, repeating "eye, eye, eye". That is just weird.
~At the mall last week Micah accidentally knocked down a mannequin (I wouldn't usually make excuses but it was a very unstable mannequin that he barely touched) riding a scooter. I proceeded to try to fix it and things went downhill from there. It apparently scarred Micah for an unknown amount of time because since then we have had to answer his "man?" "knocked?" "hurt?" "K?" questions multiple times a day.
~ Bedtime has become a time of chatty cathy to no end. We spend a big chunk of that time right now going over the mannequin incident and affirming that the man is indeed ok. The boy speaks til he drifts off to sleep and usually utters one last "nite nite" while already into sleep.
~ Everything is repeated ad nauseum but for some reason I still find it cute. I know the whole rain man thing will grow old eventually.
~ At night when he is supposed to kiss his Daddy night night he takes my head and points it toward Mick so I kiss him instead of him kissing his Daddy.
~ Two days ago I became Mommy...for weeks, months even I have been Momma, I refer to myself as Momma, but nevertheless I am now Mommy, just ask Micahbird.
~The pictures above are from Micah discovering Elmo on the computer. It is pretty neat and a good 3 minute break for me. If I walk out and watch him from the hall he goes crazy dancing and singing. He can even finish with "Elmo's song" if you do the la las. Also note Lamby watching too. Lamby has to watch everything until I can find someway to put him back in his bed throughout the day. Although he performs, eats and teetees better for our buddy Lamby than he does for real live people!
Ok, ok, enough is enough, I apologize.
I am that Momma, excuse me, Mommy.

5 comments:

Mick said...

But you are the best Mommy in the world. Thanks for what you do that goes unseen every day. You are making our son prosper along with God's blessings.

Amy said...

That's a great title! You're so creative! I'm glad yall are doing well, and everyone is happy:-) When are we ever going to get to see you, though?
Love you!

Sarah said...

I love reading about the adventures of the Harpers! Hope to see you soon!

beth ewing said...

laughing so hard at the rain man comment...we say that all the time. i'm so glad someone else's child does that. i get the feeling micah and miller are alot alike.

Anonymous said...

Remember - the amount you love Micah is the amount your mom loves you and your sister - Mom's love is never ending - no matter what. I love you. mkm