Tuesday, January 27, 2009

buck wild boys

I had the bright idea of picking up Hayden from school today because Micah has been begging to play with him. I had a little work to do so we headed to the chicken house. Hayden is helpful to have but also enthuses Micah to a new level of energy. I let them play on the playground while I got food ready and when I went back (I know I am a bad mom but I could see them the whole time, and the chicken house is like home to Micah). When I got back Hayden had helped (aka. lengthened Micah's arms) by dragging him up the playplace. Micah was then at the top and had apparently done his business and didn't want to come down to have his pants changed. I suspected as much so I sent Hayden in to do a smell test. His response told me I was right on. So I threatened, begged, and bribed to no avail. Finally I instructed Hayden to get him down anyway that he could. This was selfish on my part, I was hungry and didn't feel like slithering up the play equipment. So after a few screams I heard Hayden say, hold on to my feet Micah and they both came down the slide. I watched as Micah came headfirst into the turn...and bonked his noggin good. Had there not been an injury there would have been a spankin but the goose egg seemed punishment enough. Then, don't forget the hour before I had gotten us hot food but we still couldn't eat it because we all had to traipse into the bathroom to change Sir Stinky Drawers of Smush. Hayden also needed to go of course with apparently a belt made of steel he came out pants down tighty whitey's up- poop on my hands he was left to stand for all to see and the lady in the bathroom was kind enough to utter the words..."You are doing a good job!" I think she said that because she thought I looked pretty close to the edge of loosing it. After that was lunch (cold but edible), more playing and a trip to find cow hats. The people in the chicken house all looked at me like I had the most terrible children while they stood behind the cow stantion and mooed at incoming customers. I personally found it to be another new marketing strategy! You gotta see the humor in it...I just wanted to record this for the boys future. It really was a fun day but I am betting those that witnessed it would beg to differ. The longer I have a boy the more I see the judgement of others and their behavior. Boys are an all together gift from God but they are also all together different than any other thing on earth. I hope and pray I never forget how my child has acted and been so that I never look at another mom with a condescending look or sly comment. I wanna be the lady in the restroom who encouraged not discouraged no matter how dire the circumstances look.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

steph. i would love to spend time with you. lunch or dinner.. or both is absolutly fine with me. just give me a call and we can figure something out :]

Amy said...

Wow! I am NOT looking forward to this stage. I talked to Anna today, and she has similar stories, too. I'm so scared and worried!!! Learn some good strategies to cope, please! Love you!

beth ewing said...

amen! i agree totally about boys but more so about women that look at you like you're a horrible mother. i never want to do that to anyone b/c you just don't know everything. and it's usually the people without kids that give those looks. hehe!

Sara said...

Sounds like an exhausting day! And full of surprises! I think it will be a long, long time before we see a day free of surprises from our boys - so I say enjoy it while it lasts! Saturday morning, Bo woke up around 7:30, but was playing in his room while me and Robert slept in a little bit longer. When we finally get up, we find Bo COMPLETELY NAKED (out of footy pajamas), holding his golf club and surrounded by a floor full of books. I'm thankful the floor wasn't full of anything else! I wish I had a camera (ours broke) to capture the moment - it was hysterical!

Unknown said...

Totally agree with you!

I saw you won one of the free blog makeovers - well done! Cannot wait to see your new design! xxx.

Alison said...

Sorry for the craziness. I don't even have my boy yet but he is so active in my belly I am beginning to wonder... they must be different. I soon will feel your pain. :)

Summer said...

This made me laugh...probably b/c I don't have kids. I agree with the restroom lady. You are doing a great job!