Tuesday, July 29, 2008

naked time and time out

so cute!
look at those arm muscles!
nice tan lines!

I feel so bad for Micah always having to have his stuff all cooped up in a yucky old diaper all the time. Last night I decided to let him have some "naked time" to air that thing out. He loved it. Of course I knew there would be some tee teeing so I brought him in the kitchen and not two seconds after the diaper came off he flooded the floor. After that he realized he was going to get to stay that way and just played his little heart out. Of course stopping every few minutes to take a look at that body part that he never gets to see. Boys!



While Micah has a great time playing and doing things at his own pace he is having a really hard time doing anything that isn't his idea. This includes diaper changes, moving from inside to outside, car to stroller, room to room, and virtually any change that you make. He also is having a problem hitting other random strangers as well as me. Of course this is hard to take for someone who insisted her child wouldn't be "that child". Of course I would have the boy who is going to challenge everything. Parenting has been hard thus far, no doubt, but disciplining the bird is a whole new area. I know that so much of Micah's perception of the world, God and us rests on how we handle disciplining him. I also know that it isn't my strongpoint. God has given me the ability to love, feed, nurture and teach Micah but that ability to discipline is one that He is still working on. It is actually a mental battle for me to be consistent and to not be overtaken by Micah's wailing and flailing. Mick is very good at disciplining but he is not the one who is going to be with Micah for the majority of the time. So all the pressure falls on me for this season of his life. I want him to obey and to understand punishment is for his own good, but often times it is hard to even convince myself of that. So, I 've ordered more books to read and I am praying hard to figure out what will work for our bird, and fast! So, if your child is playing at the mall and that rambunctious kid runs up and smacks your kid don't judge the mom as harshly as you might, I know I wont anymore since often times that mom is me! I say all this to vent some of my nervousness about this new hardship and also to document this time so that when my next child comes(Lord willing) I will not be taken so off guard by this sudden need to rebel.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Steph, I know I am not as far down the road with the discipline thing as you are and I have a sweet, little girl, but Charlotte's red-headed temper has begun to rare its ugly head. I, too, pulled out a book yesterday afternoon to study on tools in "teaching" my child to behave. Inwardly I struggled as I thought how hard this was going to be. Just know that I am there with you in the "This is hard" category. Thank God we have friends and family who sincerely support us in training our children in the ways of the Lord - and all that comes with that. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, It's Anna. I just had to tell you that you are not alone!!! Jayden has started throwing tantrums, hitting & kicking me & lately even pulling my hair! I also said that my kid would never be "that kid" & here I am. I went to the library two weeks ago to try & find a book on toddler discipline & couldn't find what I was looking for because I was having to deal with Jayden crying to get out of his stroller and pulling books off the shelves. Finally, the librarian had to come over to me & ask if she could help me find what I was looking for & I had to tell her that I needed a book on toddler discipline while Jayden was in full-out tantrum mode. Talk about embarrassing....I definitely feel your pain!

beth ewing said...

see my post yesterday about temper tantrums. i think we just have independent, stubborn children. not all kids are like that and i pray at least one of my kids is a laid-back child.