Sunday, May 29, 2011

Making Memories...




too hopefully last a lifetime.
One of my favorite childhood memories is one Sunday morning my parents got us up for what we thought was church, then they told us instead we were going to go downtown, ride marta, go to the world of coke and a few other fun things. I still remember what I wore that day. I was just so excited to be doing something different, and probably excited not to sit through church quite honestly. But that is a memory that I love and am so thankful for...that my parents loved us and wanted to make fun memories with us.
I often wander will Micah and SadieJane remember the fun things we've done? I also sometimes hope they forget the ugly things that happen too, so it might be a trade off. Anyways, Thursday we woke up and it was supposed to be cloudy and cooler (in the upper 70's) so I quickly packed lunches and we headed to the zoo to make sure we got our money out of our family passes and to make a memory. It really was a fun day and I feel like it'll at least be a memory I can tell them about, even if they don't fully remember. The two funniest parts of the whole day really had nothing to do with the zoo. Although it was great and almost all of the animals were being fed!! Which means they were all out for us to see. But the two things that happened that I'll remember are that towards the end of our time there we were nearing exhaustion and Micah's little feet were growing weary, when we realized we had lost a croc. Those things are hard to come by so I decided we just had to retrace our steps no matter the cost. Well, Micah thought that was a fun game and he got a little renewed energy. Thank Jesus, (and we did) it wasn't too far back on our trek so we scooped it up and headed out. Micah got more excited about finding that shoe than he did about most of the animals. Lastly, we park waaaaay up a hill at the zoo because it is so much easier. Coming to the zoo is a breeze, but leaving and facing that what seemed to be small but is now gargantuous hill is quite daunting. Micah decided he could.not.walk.anymore. right before we left the gate and embarked on our climb. So I agreed to put him on my shoulders. It also turned out not to be cloudy and was in the lower 90's by this time. So I schlupped him onto my shoulders and pushed SadieJane and her two crocs up that hill to our car. It was a real moment of success for me when we truly made it. Micah was SO impressed and apparently expected me to drop him before we reached the car. He couldn't believe I was "so strong!". We headed home after that with sleepy bodies and good memories!

No comments: