Monday, July 23, 2012

Love your neighbor...



Oh what a fun day this was for all involved. I recently threw a baby shower for my neighbor Emna. You might remember when I first met her here. My how things have changed since that post in January. Emna and I have formed a great friendship and have had MANY more talks and cry sessions since then. Still from what I can figure she is in a very controlling relationship with a man that I do not understand. She is due with a baby boy in September and had yet to have a piece of clothing or a diaper for their baby. I have been praying for Emna for a while and have included quite a few people in praying and caring for her. So I figured what a great way to put our faith into action. I had been telling her how I felt Christians were different so it became time to show her. I invited a few friends who had prayed, or counseled or met Emna over to shower her with the love of Jesus and for us to meet her "need" for the baby too. It was such a delight and quite overwhelming to see my friends share their gifts and Jesus with her. She was overwhelmed that people who did not know her would be so kind. It was such a neat picture because people from all areas of my life were represented there. Sherry, a girl from my small group had been praying, Angie, my boss from preschool had counseled and prayed, Erin had gotten a daily play by play at school and been praying very specifically, my mom had met and loved on Emna, two softball girls, Hallie and Kelsey had been there the day Emna first came over and had talked and prayed from that day, and one of my BFF's April had prayed each time I'd asked. Others sent gifts when they couldn't make it, so the babies clothing needs are at least met now! Oh what a beautiful picture it was as I watched friends serve Emna and give gifts, while others cleaned up and a few sat and listened to every story that Emna wanted to tell. I love Emna and her situation is still so complicated. I do feel that God could give her peace in her situation but I do not know how exactly her situation can be "fixed". But I quoted Romans 8:28 the day I met her to her and I trust that God is continuing to work for the good, even when I can't see just how. I also know that Emna and I might always be the Muslim trying to convert the Christian and the Christian trying to convert the Muslim. But it is a joy to know her and to be able to be a friend to someone that I know God brought into my life for purpose.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

What an awesome testimony Steph. Thanks for sharing and I will be praying for her too. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Steph you are such a special person to reach out and help people the way you do. I see a lot of Dot in you and wish that you could have met her. I am sure that Emna really appreciates all that you and your friends have done for her. It must be really scary to come to a new country not knowing anyone or the new culture that she is surrounded by. I am so thankful for you in our family and for what you do for others. sissy

Tracy Carson said...

This is beautiful, Stephanie! So wonderful to put your faith in action like this!

beth ewing said...

what a great way to live like Christ...i know you planted a seed that day...when and where God will bring it to fruition isn't yours to worry about. for now you were faithful to His call.