Monday, March 14, 2011

Work in Progress

So, I think most people's marriages are just that: a work in progress. No one totally has it together, and just when you think you do something hits the fan. I am working on some emails and notes to put together (maybe one day into a book), for a friend who is heading toward engagement in marriage. I have sectioned it off into: Relationship with Jesus, Communication, SEX, Finances, Raising Children, and a Misc. With this in mind I thought I would add just a section on the MOST important things you need to know in marriage. The whole title of the "book" would be "What I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Said I Do". So, tell me, email me or leave a message. Let me know, if there were ONE thing you wish someone told you before you jumped into marital bliss what would it have been? Don't be afraid, I wont use your real name:) And this is the one post you can be anonymous on and I wont ball my eyes out:) To all of you seasoned marrieds that are reading figure out how to leave a message and leave one please, if Melinda can do it, so can you:) I want to have a wide range of things to share with other women (or men) like us. Thanks so much for your help in making other people's marriages successful!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

definitely can't wait to read some of that steph :)
love, ashli

Maggie said...

i'll totally buy a copy! haha

Anonymous said...

#1 i would say marriage is hard hard hard work, but definitly worth it!!! and get a soul sister in the meantime to confide in...

#2 do the "for women only" bible study...bahahaha

-taron

Sarah said...

I'd like to reserve a copy please!!! :)

Anonymous said...

#1 - Don't believe the comment that you should never go to bed mad at one another....trust me, that is going to happen sometime, somewhere.
#2 - Keep your hubby as your best friend.
#3 - Have a life outside each other - develop other interests and go places without your spouse. (They are so glad when you return home)
#4 - Keep a "Blind Balance" in your checkbook - just for emergencies - like pedicures, massages, and things for ME. mkm

The Kimmels said...

1) Make sure you have food in your stomach before you have any kind of important conversation. Ours sometimes turn ugly if one or both of us are hungry!! -- this is extra important with you are pregers! :)
2) be on the same page about children before you get married, including if you want them, when you think you would like to start trying to have them & what kind of discipline you see yourself using.
3)...I may think of something else...This is such a good idea! You should sell copies :) love ya!

April said...

love this friend!! let me sort through all my marital knowledge and i'll get back with you with some words of wisdom my child.

April said...

....=)

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT idea friend! I don't have any advice, but I definitely didn't know what I was getting into :) Thankfully, it has been a great adventure!!! Good luck friend! AND, I have some notes/advice from premarital counseling I give/ a premarriage class I offered at church if you are interested :)

Anonymous said...

Marriage is hard for a lot of reasons, but here's two...

1) People change...physically, emotionally, socially, spiritually, etc. You change, he has to adjust. He changes, you have to adjust. That's why it's work, b/c you're readjusting so much.

2) Before marriage, hormones are raging and it's so hard to fight Satan's temptations to have sex with your soon-to-be husband. After marriage, hormones rage in a different way and it's so hard to fight Satan's temptations to be selfish and not have sex with your husband!!

I may have some more later!