Wednesday, June 1, 2011

21 vs. 31

Amy, Me, April, Brittany and behind the camera Suzie:)
There is a world apart between turning 21 and turning 31. I have been contemplating the differences and just wanted to document them here. It just makes me laugh and stand in awe of just how different your life can be in 10 years...and some ways that it just stays the same too.

When I was turning 21 I picked where to eat by who had the best steak, my parents were paying so I had no clue how much it cost. Turning 31 I will most likely pick the place you can go to get your birthday meal for free. Budget, budget, budget. (I don't think I even knew what that word meant at 21)
When I turned 21 I had no set apart "girl's night out", etc. Every night was just that. At 31, I plan for weeks to go out with the few that can get away from their children and if it actually happens I am in shock.
When I turned 21 I thought I looked great. I ate terribly and if I ran a mile I thought I was a real athelete. At 31, I worry about what nursing did to certain body parts and how what I eat could affect my children, and I run alot.
When I turned 21 I woke up around 10 and lazily dressed myself in a cute outfit. At 31, I lay on my pillow with the cutest blue eyes staring me down saying "Mommy, get up" at 7:30 and another sweet girl calling my name from her crib; neither of which have any clue that I have a birthday nor do they care:) And my outfit, tanktop and undies til I can get them dressed, hopefully I'll remember to put on pants before we leave the house.
When I turned 21 I'm pretty sure I spent hours watching daytime tv. At 31 I spend hours alright, watching disney channel and the mouse.
When I was 21 I wondered and worried if I'd die an old maid with lots of cats. At 31, I have a husband who I love and two babies that are more than I could have ever asked or imagined.
When I turned 21 I made sure everyone new it and waited for the phone calls. At 31, I am good with my husband telling me happy day and a few texts from my best friends. (Although facebook does make it fun:))
When I turned 21 I didn't worry about picking up my clothes or any housework whatsoever. At 31, I contemplate where I should vacuum first and which load of laundry to start first.
When I turned 21 I spent leisurely time with Jesus never knowing what a luxury it was. At 31, I pray I get to squeeze in a little time with my Savior.

I am sure I'll have more to add to this post as the day goes on. As I think "Happy Birthday to me" as I do things that just make me laugh. Like laughing that Micah just killed me a "crotchroach":) As I thought these things out I really thought this would be a "Man, 31 stinks, post" but turns out even compared to the glorious 21 it isn't so bad. God apparently has me right where He wants me and I am so grateful for this birthday.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Awww! Happy birthday! I love all the comparisons!! Love you!

EMU said...

Haha! Too funny to think about the difference 10 years makes! Happy birthday -- hope it's a special one!