Wednesday, February 25, 2009

too cool for school

So thanks so much for all of your sweet comments. Mick asked if I was surprised that many people read my blog...apparently he didn't think I had any readers:) I am not feeling great but when you are pregnant that is a good sign I think.

Monday I started looking online at 2 year old preschools in our area. My mom suggested since I will be birthing a baby, Lordwilling, in Sept/Oct. it would be nice for Micah to go to a preschool a couple of days a week. On my bad days this is a great idea, but on days when my bird is being so cute and sweet I can't think of leaving him for 3 HOURS with somewhat strangers! Ok, so that is a little dramatic but seriously this is something Mick and I talked about and agreed we would pray if it is the right thing. I have lots of concerns with school in general coming from teaching school and from reading lots of James Dobson. He discusses the fact that boys were not created for the classroom and I would second that emotion since my first year teaching I had 9 boys and 7 girls. The 9 boys often seemed like 20 wild indians. Sooooo...anywho seeing as how I have "one of those boys" that the teachers both love and are exhausted by I want to do whatever the Lord thinks is best. I don't want Micah to feel like he is being punished for being a boy, but I also want him to learn some self control. So we prayed Monday night then I emailed our school of choice Tuesday morning to find out when they register...thinking I could go visit a class and decide over the summer. But oh no, they register on Monday and get this: one spot left! Fortunately we live in a big small town where if you've lived here since birth everybody knows you and the director called because she felt bad about the availability. We discovered that since I am actually an alumna of this particular preschool:) I get to register early and Micah got a spot! Oh the stress to come with schooling our little wildman. Just think how hard it will be to get him in another preschool when he gets kicked out of this one for his dracula moves!

So much for all that praying and thinking. He is registered now but we are still going to talk it through and make sure it is what is best for his spiritual, physical and mental growth. I never thought I would be thinking about all this at 2. When I went to register him I started to cry...Micah looked at me like I was crazy...and I foresee the way he will then look at me at Pre-K and Kindergarten and 6th grade, and 9th and oh then the graduation...I can't even imagine.

So I say all this humorously we aren't going to be that traumatized by a few hours a week apart but are there those who have thought about this before? How did it go? Do you like it? I would love to hear other opinions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former preschool teacher, I have to say that it is a wonderful experience and Micah will probably love it and it will give you just a little break that you may not think you need but probably do! I promise that all of us have been through the same thoughts as you! The good part - we all live through it! My "little" boy is now 27!

Anonymous said...

oh, my - yes! It is hard. I took Taylor to work with me for 9 months before it was just impossible because I dreaded preschool. But it really is the best thing for both of us. She gets to spend time playing with other kids, which is important to her development, as well as loving and trusting other adults who aren't family - different toys than at home, LOTS of playground time. She really does love it. And I get a chance to breathe during the day and cherish our time together more. Now if I could just figure out how to work less so she didn't have to be there as much, lfe would be dandy.

Sara said...

You know I had to sign Anna up for pre-k for this fall and I was sooo hesitant and nervous! She has been in in-home daycare but has learned SO much from going there (she can just about read!) that i just kept her there and it was nice and convenient for me too. BUT I thought to look into pre-k by chance in January when I was off work and SAME THING you ran into - they were almost full! Thankfully we loved one of the places and she is all signed up - it's crazy how quickly preschools fill up! Where is he going? He will love it!

MissingMyIsaac said...

oh, I can so relate. Just wait until he's 5! Next week we are registering Gracie for KINDERGARTEN!!!!! I think someone will have to just knock me out with a tranquilizer that day.

We also started preschool at 2. Looking back I can say it was a WONDERFUL thing for both Gracie and I. She has absolutely blossomed socially and intellectually since starting preschool, it has been so good for her. Plus, Mommies *need* some time away, you prob. just don't realize it yet, but those few hours would do good for you too.

Try not to stress; you have plenty of time to think about it and I'm confident the Lord will show you the right answer in time. Just because Micah is officially registered doesn't mean that you can't change your mind and pull his name off the list later on if you needed to.

THEY GROW UP TOO FAST!!!!

Anonymous said...

I am going through the exact same thing with Jayden. We are going to register him on Monday to go 2 days a week for 3 hours a day and I am having a really hard time with it. There are a lot of reasons why I want him to go and think it will be good for him but mostly I am just nervous and anxious and dreading it. Everyone thinks I'm crazy! Anna

Anonymous said...

hey steph this is sarah scherer! i am going to teach the 2 yr old preschool class at our church next year. it's mon-fri 8:30-12:00. we go to 'church at chapel hill'. he could come be in my class! just a thought!~~