Thursday, February 5, 2009

Booming Business OR Pure Silliness?

I started with this one for a friend and it is pretty chaotic, I put every idea I had onto one diaper cake...



then I decided to go for the more simplistic approach and my poor friend that got the busy one is wishing I had changed my approach one diaper cake sooner!


These are just rough drafts but wanted to let you see what I am thinking...


if nothing else you know that if I can do it you can start whipping them up too!




So ever since I even started to think about having children I have racked my brain for a gift that God has given me that would enable me to both stay home and make money. Yeah, I know, hasn't everybody? I love, ok am thankful, for my job now and for its flexibility. BUT I just spent 3 hours making phone calls and am currently waiting on two more that I will then have to drive to the chicken house tonight.(all while Micah had a record meltdown in the background) It's like I'm an on call doctor...except w/o the big money or the prestige. I digress...so let's just say I am still thinking...of a way to have the best of both world without my cell phone attached to my ear. I mean I can't sew cute aprons like one of my friends, I can't give horseriding lessons like another, I can't sell drugs...you all know my stand on that. Soooo every now and then I create something and convince myself we could make money on it. Shortly thereafter my math teacher husband computes the 50 cents I made off a best friend doesn't equal a house payment. So these are pictures of my latest attempt. They are in the early stages...which is where most of my businesses stay but I thought I would share them and see what you all think. Would you buy one? Do you like getting them as gifts? I plan on adding gifts to them and in them to make them more like gift basket diaper cakes but I thought I would see what my sweet but honest blog friends think. Don't worry though if you are too nice and say nothing my hubby will fill in the silence with..."I don't think so, honey"


6 comments:

Mick said...

I think they are great. I know we got one or two as gifts and they were neat and useful. I also think my wife's are the best. Addorable and useful. Just like she is in real life plus a lot more. I'm thinking of adding a new line of adult diaper cakes to reach the older crowd as well.
I love you Steph!!

Alison said...

Mick, good luck with the adult diaper thing. Stephanie, I love mine. It is actually on display downstairs. You did a great job and I love your latest concept with the purple ribbon.:) Go for it!!!!

Amy said...

I love them! They look really cute! Good thinking! I would buy one.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love diaper cakes and think they are the coolest invention ever! I would definately buy one because I have tons of friends having babies and although I'd like to think I had the time to make one, I don't! I think it's a fabulous idea!!!

The Kimmels said...

Ive already tried to leave you one message and it didn't post??

I definitely think people would buy them. I had a friend to pay me to make a diaper cake and a diaper wreath. For the cake, I wrapped a couple of the diaper layers in receiving blankets. The wreaths are always a huge hit because they are different!

Anyway, I definitely think there is a market for them. ...especially at our age and all of the people having babies!!

beth ewing said...

i think they're cute and i especially like the idea of adding gifts to them to make them like a gift basket/cake. i would buy one.