Monday, March 24, 2014

Update on FB Hiatus.


Well, I think I'm past my 30 day trial period off Facebook and I made it. I have thoroughly enjoyed being more present day to day and not needing my phone at all times. I actually haven't even been counting the days or super excited to get back on. That is victory friends;)! I got on a few times to check messages but otherwise I really wasn't tempted. It turns out I CAN live without it and I'll be alright...even if I did almost miss one of my best friends birthdays! 

Now the question remains, do I head back down that spiral of time sucking or do I find away to be wise on the book  oooorrrr do I just leave it behind. Hmmm. I'd love to hear how you balance it. Not that you have a super addictive personality like mine; but I'm sure I could learn a thing or two from some of you wise women out there.

My plans as of now are to get back on, see what I've missed, get overwhelmed then stay off again for a while. I have a feeling when I tell my kiddos (especially Micah) their opinion will be to ditch it for good. I know Mick feels I've partially replaced it with Instagram, sorry for my multi picture days! But Instagram doesn't have the same stronghold/sin issues for me that fb does. Granted I still waste time there instead and am working on that. Technology. Grr.

I know this is boring but wanted to update my progress;). More excitement coming next few posts... SelahBelle is turning ONE this week!

4 comments:

Carrie Cochran said...

I always tell my 'more seasoned' mom friends (read: much older) that technology is a struggle for us newer mommas. They didn't have to worry about temptation from their phones, computers, or social networks like we do. It is seriously a struggle for me and I fight it every day. I finally learned to schedule time for it so I can check it, post, whatever... and then move on.

beth ewing said...

So I'm not sure if you know or not but I'm off FB for lent. I haven't been on at all (despite the weekly emails from FB telling me what I've missed ;). I've been thinking about how I'll ease back in. I think I'm going to leave it off my phone. That means I'll have to get the laptop out in order to check it. I'm not sure if it will work but those are my thoughts halfway in.

Maggie said...

I want to know how to balance too! I have felt so free, creative, and original without it. I don't want to miss those cute kid pics from all of my far away friends though... ahhh decisions decisions.

EMU said...

I gave up Fb for Lent last year, then it turned into a 4 month break because I enjoyed it so much. I got back on simply because Fb helps me connect with people even when I don't have their # or email. When I first got back on, I went through all of my friends and unfollowed almost all of them. They only stayed on my newsfeed if they were family or friends that I'm close enough to call, text, or email. Everyone else remained a friend, but now my newsfeed only has a few new items every time I get on Fb. This means Fb is not as tempting anymore, because there isn't much to see. Since I didn't unfriend anyone, I can always go to their page if I'm wondering how they are doing or need to get in touch with them. This really made Fb possible for me -- before that it would suck me in too much!