Sunday, March 16, 2014

Doin' Some Updatin'





There once was a post all scattered and scared, leading up to Micahbird entering kindergarten. Then there was no update in sight. I wanted to document a little about our year. I know you are all dying to hear this Iwantedtohomeschoolmomma eat her words...I mean, has to say about the dreaded public school system. I have lots  of thoughts, what's new? So I'm gonna bulletpoint them:
-we love.love.love Micah's school, principal and teacher. They love him and work hard to help him do well.
- after our first full week of homework I did (temporarily) eat my words about homeschool. Homework continues to generate great angst and gnashing of teeth. Ugh, only 12 more years of homework to go.
-going to bed at 8:30 is hard for night owl children, although I think it's improved our marriage.
-Micah loves PE, recess and lunch...in that order. He would be fine if they dismissed directly after those 3.
-sight words are a beast and while I see the purpose they have played a hard part of our first year of school.
-some kids are really cut out for learning, love to learn and play school, Micah is not one of those kids.
- I am so thankful we held him back. Biggest parenting decision we have made and it is confirmed over and over this year, it was the right one. Thank you Jesus!
-kids love Micah. Girls LOVE Micah. Like want to marry Micah. Ugh, this is worse than homework.
- I do love that he is well liked. I like him a lot and I'm glad to validate my opinion outside of Momma blindness. He has made tons of friends and loves his boys...and a few girls. Argh.
- Micah's teacher got injured and was gone for a looong time. Boo hiss. But after talking with the Principal, he agreed to step in and work with Micah. It has made a WORLD of difference! I am so grateful for that kind of love and help Micah is receiving. His teacher is back now, but the principal's still meeting with Micah!
-I am afraid of common core and all the silly standards. I miss the days of satisfactory, unsatisfactory or needs improvement. I have a college education and cannot read the "report card".
-despite the above facts it appears that Micah's school marches to the beat of it's own drum and I like what I've heard this far. They are teaching to standards more than I like, but they see Micah and teach him...not just to pass a standard. This is a slippery slope and don't know how long we will be able to stand it. Prayers Ga changes their thinking on cc.
- thankfully my perspective on the year and Micah's are vastly different. Meaning he doesn't think it's as hard as I'm making it sound...or at least he doesn't know it.
-I could go on like this forever but I'll stop here. For now.

Overall this year has been a huge adjustment. Quite possibly more for me than Micah. Change is hard. School is work. But I do feel like we made the right choice. (For now) The resources that we have at Micah's school far out way my abilities and capacity to teach right NOW. That could change. But I'm not a fan of change. Bottom line whatever we did this year was gonna be hard because we added a whole new person to the family and started realdealalldaylongschool. So we've all learned a lot and are planning on finishing strong. Which will be better than how we started...

6 comments:

beth ewing said...

I'm glad it's going mostly well with school. I know for kids like Miller and Micah, a great teacher makes all the difference. Although Miller has had good ones so far, the one this year is great and I notice a difference. He's thriving this year.

And I don't mean to be an instigator but I'm trying to figure out why everyone hates CC so much. I mean schools have been teaching for tests and to meet standards for years….especially since No Child Left Behind. So while I do see some issues with a set standard, I also see some benefits (especially as a military family that is always moving from state to state) and don't feel it's as awful as everyone is making it out to be. So I'm wondering specifically it is that you don't like so much that you hope GA will abandon it.

stephanie said...

Every time I respond it messes up and deletes it. I'm gonna try again:)

stephanie said...

I had not thought of the consistency across states issue so I get that importance for you. My main concerns are with the vagueness of some of the standards, the push to compete with other countries earlier and earlier and the math curriculum changes. The general way it's changing the way the elementary teachers must teach and the amount of individual attention they can give. Especially Micah, but I'm sure countless others struggle with anxiety and the cc is bases on meeting standards that used to be those of grade level or 2 higher. Leaving less room for time for things to click. In my experience the math is going to vere away from fact memory and more on problem solving and word problems. While these have a place I'm unsure how students will balance so much of both. Often the way they want you to figure out the math problems is just backwards;) this is all my opinion and my experience with Micah in kind. And my nephew in 4th grade. I know there are other pros too and for gifted kids this curriculum might fit, but it is very standards

stephanie said...

Driven. So much so I feel the student themselves could be lost in all the incessant "standard meeting". But you are right, the system as a whole has been leaning this way...so in some ways I recognize it's the nature of the beast. But I feel local counties should be able to choose whether to use it or not. Hope this makes sense!

beth ewing said...

It makes perfect sense. I think b/c Miller is "getting" it and far beyond his grade level in math, I don't see it as much. I see the problem solving and although it doesn't always make sense to me, he seems to get it. I'm sure if he was getting lost in meeting standards I would feel the same way. Thanks. It's always nice to hear others opinions on things. I also wonder b/c CO has been doing this for longer than others if that has something to do with it. I think the teachers have adjusted. I"m sure there's an awkward growing phase as they figure out how to do everything a new way.

stephanie said...

Glad you understood:)! And yes Georgia is still trying to iron out details so hopefully some of this can be fixed;) Hopefully it'll be easier with SadieJane because she sounds more like Miller.