Friday, March 7, 2014

Abundant Redemption

This isn't my usual, here's pics of my babies, or here's my latest realization blogpost. I am doing a Bible study through www.shereadstruth.com and their challenge for lent was to write our own study on Friday's. So this is my go at doing just that. Would love your feedback and am excited about the next few Friday's. God is so much more than words on this screen could provide, but I am grateful for the opportunity to share my heart and His through His word.

Attentive.
Forgiving.
Loving. Kind.
Redemptive.
These attributes are salve to my oh so weary soul.
Because my list lately looks like this...
Failure.
Bitter.
Quick to anger.

I haven't gone around all angry and such consistently. But the woes of this world have been getting me down. This Psalm, this prayer, this cry for help,  from David in Psalm 130 is one of great impact on my life. Time and time again the Lord brings me back to it. It must be a lesson that I need a reminder of quite a lot. You can tell by the dates in my Bible, this isn't a lesson for a season or for a specific time; this is for life. (isn't that true of His word as a whole?)

The Lord keeps no record of our sinfulness. Of our weariness. Of our anger. He forgives. Let. That. Sink. In. Feels freeing, doesn't it? To know that the same God who spoke the world into existence and who breathed the very Word we are reading forgives us...the tired Momma, the tired-of-the-dating game sista, the infertile Sarah's, the working ladies...ALL of us lay equal at the foot of the cross. We kneel down sinners and He forgives us and we rise up ABUNDANTLY redeemed. We must simply come. Ask. Confess.

While we wait patiently like those waiting on dawn He redeems us. God doesn't stop at redemption, He redeems fully, abundantly, more than we could ask or imagine. David tells us to PUT our hope in the Lord. Don't put our hope in our husband, our job, our babies, or our longing for any of these. Put our hope in the Lord and HIS unfailing love. It's an action though, this putting David tells us. We can't sit in carpool and will it upon ourselves with positive thinking. We have to consciously put our trust in Jesus and take our ultimate trust from the things of this world. Easy peasy, eh.

That's where we rest sisters. In the hope, in the love, in the abundance. Oh, if we could stay here. If our longing for more, or our comparison with the next didn't lead us elsewhere...we could rest. We could stay. That's my prayer for me, and my prayer for you. That the God who is oh so kind and loving to redeem us can lead me (us) here time and again He too, longs for us to rest and stay HERE. In His word. In His peace. Let's give it a go, shall we? And when we come up short let's put another date next to an old worn out passage and let it sink in anew. AGAIN. 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I like this a lot Steph. I like that I can "hear" you talking to me in your text. I like that you write the date by the passage/verse - a really good reminder that we have been in these places before and God was there then and so He will be here again. Thanks for sharing.