Friday, March 21, 2014

My BIG God is in the Details


Scripture for this weeks #shereadstruth lent assignment
Jonah 1 and 2

I'm a detail person. Having 3 children has made me less concerned with the details but I'm convinced I'm genetically predisposed to analyze, well, everything...conversations, actions, situations, people...you get my point. Details matter to me. Maybe that's part of the reason I'm so wordy. Oh mercy, this isn't supposed to be analyzation of my analyzing. 

Back to God's word...the story of Jonah is an oh so familiar one to a lot of us but Gods Word is living and active; actively teaching us new things. Reading Jonah fresh for me had me noticing God's careful interest in...my favorite...the details. You see, in my experience if you're a "big picture" person, you have little concern for details. I appreciate big picture people because I'm not as genetically predisposed that way. I love the way they often see great things far off when I, too concerned with the details, can't seem to get passed a few minor snags in the plan. It hit me in reading the story about "big picture" God's plan and Jonah's disobedience but the "details" of pagan sailors conversions and repentance songs in the belly of a fish. This is not news to most, but to me I am thankful for the newness of God's word shouting to me in the wee hours of morning "Stephanie, I'm your great BIG God and I care about the details too" So refreshing to see that even my great Hod who knows the big picture of my life by heart, He too cares enough to orchestrate details in the belly of a fish to show this girl He loves details too. In fact they are what make up that big picture, duh.;)

It thrilled me to be reminded that the Huge, Mighty, Amazing, Holy God we serve is not only concerns Himself with the big picture; but with the small details too. You see, we all see the overarching theme here in God's story. Jonah's lesson in obedience. His repentant heart and God's patience with his slow learning curve. We get to see how powerful God is in his display of storms and large fish. Not only that though, I noticed afresh God's purpose in the storm also converted many sailors... 
These sailors were details in God's big picture plan. As a detail person, I love this. I love seeing Him working in the storms. 

Lastly, being a detail person I cling to a "big picture" verse. Romans 8:28 talks about that God is continually working for good. There are times when the details tell us otherwise. Like in Jonah 2 as he sat with weeds around his head, he was thinking of the big yet small issue of being swallowed by a fish. When God knew that this detail would continue to work for Jonah's good in the long run. 

Our family is about to celebrate our youngest daughter's 1st birthday. It's a huge moment and we are so grateful for her. But you see a little over a year ago she was placed in the hospital with a life threatening diagnosis. At the time, "the details" were daunting and like Jonah did in the belly of the whale, we cried out to God to save us (her) and He did! In those weeks at the hospital when I concerned myself with too many details I could barely see straight. But as I clung to who God was and His truth I knew He was concerned with both; my details and His big picture. Regardless of the outcome I was convinced God deserved the glory for rescuing us in those circumstance.

I am amazed at how God continually teaches and preaches to us in our weakness. This lesson is a practical one for me today, and in the years to come. I hope He uses it to bless you and to remind you of not only His greatness but his tender loving care as well. 

Overwhelmed.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Oh thank you dear friend. Feeling very overwhelmed with the details right now and feeling like I have gotten lost in the Big Picture. Thanks for the reminders of truth. And I am loving all this blogging right now. Love you and happy almost birthday to your babe.