Monday, February 27, 2012

Opening Day at Panther Field:)






Last Thursday was Mick's first home game. And after some unfortunate events on their first and second games (ie a mouse in the house!!) we were unable to make it to those. So we headed out extra excited about our first home baseball game for the Panthers. It was an exciting game. So exciting that Mick got asked to go stand behind the concession stand...ie. he got ejected:( I am sure he knows, but I seriously can't remember him being thrown out of a game in either sport since before Micah was born...the man has mellowed dramatically. But the streak as it were has been broken and Mick will be watching the next two games from an undisclosed location. I am not as usual flaunting our dirty laundry to shame my husband. But because I've got a story I wanna remember...that follows after the story we might like to forget. Ha! But yes, since rumors travel fast and facebook is alive and well alot of people already know anyways honey:) Basically what happened is this, Mick was indeed trying to get the umpires attention because the other team was breaking a rule, when he did so (from sitting on his trusty bucket)...the third base coach from the other team started mouthing off to Mick. I am told Mick responded to his comments and I am sure he did so in a completely loving and kind manner:)??? So the third base coach paid Mick a visit nose to nose. Mick's side is that he had no choice in order to defend his team and himself he had to stand up and in a sense, argue with our opponent's coach. By doing so all the players and fans got a bit heated and angry. As both teams of course wanted to defend their coach. I will note I "just so happened to be taking SayJ to the potty" so I didn't get to see what happened, nor was I able to play the Jr holy spirit by yelling/screaming/suggesting Mick calm down. All of my info is secondhand. Bottomline both Coach's got tossed. Mick had first gotten banned to the dugout but then in order to "regain control" the umpire decided to eject him. This upset Mick but it definitely did help to calm the situation down. After all the hullabaloo I realized that I had left Micah with his Daddy who was now standing behind the concession stand. So I went to get Micah who was standing there just still taking it all in. From his perspective the story goes like this "That man yelled at Daddy, so Daddy yelled at him, I think they had a fight" We have been struggling with controlling our anger at home, especially with SadieJane so I just reminded Micah of our memory verse to be "slow to anger and quick to listen". He agreed. Later, after the game we were sitting with the kiddos and Mick finally wanted to know how mad I was, I explained I wasn't mad I just thought possibly he could have handled it differently. Because I feel in situations where we are pressed hard we almost always have room for improvement. I was trying my hardest not to be "that wife" but also have an opinion that might slightly differ from my spouse. So one of us asked Micah what he thought about it, and Micah said "Daddy, I think you should have just turned and went in the dugout." Hmmmm...faith like a child. Although the moment is profound I know that words are easy to come by but actions far harder. Micah is struggling hard with pride and I am working hard to help him be more like Jesus in loving others, not getting so angry and not being a braggart. It is hard, and even harder when he is watching high school baseball.

On the brighter, less serious side, the Panthers came back and won the game. Apparently the coach getting kicked out can motivate players to hit bombs! So, thankfully we did speak with our bats in the end, not our fists.

The last note, even saddest note, is before the incident at hand I dropped my camera and it. died. I am still in denial. As if my blog wasn't suffering before, now with no pictures it is a sad, sad, day.

1 comment:

Ashli said...

This makes me miss times on the field with your hubby. Tell him that anytime he wants the bats to wake up, get the ump to toss him. always works... least for us it did :) love yall!!!