Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"From My Rearview Looking Back"

Those country fans know that song..."From My Front Porch Looking In". I have always loved the Rascal Flatts song, wasn't it Rascal Flatts?? Oh well, that really isn't the point anyways...
Last week I was driving around as usual, working, playing, planning, singing, talking and I just thought how blessed I was to be able to look in my rearview mirror and see most of what God has given me in that small little space. I immediately thought of that song and replaced the words with "From My Rearview Looking Back" It just made sense for me that day.
It wasn't so long ago for me that I have forgetten the ache I had anytime I thought of having babies and we couldn't figure out why we weren't having any, that my rearview mirror was actually used for its primary purpose of checking for things behind me.:) Now it is used to check faces, sounds and to properly pass a sippy cup or snacks.
...or it wasn't that long ago that I heard a friend loose their baby before he entered this world...and it wasn't too long ago that a friend's child was diagnosed with cancer, another with a seizure disorder and yet another born with heart issues.
So I took that moment as I looked in my rearview on Friday and I praised Jesus for what I saw...
...I saw two sweet babies.
...I saw more crumbs, goldfish, puffs and straw papers than I could count.
...I saw crocs in every color and size.
...I saw smiley faces.
...I saw sleeping faces.
...I even saw those days of the screaming faces.
...I saw millions of buckling and unbuckling.
...I saw SayJ's baby doll that she loves to hold.
...I saw the silly puppy dog that Micah couldn't part with in the car that SayJ wants nothing to do with
...I saw my past and my future.
...I saw Micah singing every single word to "If I Got Young" (it's actually If I DIE young)
...I saw SadieJane trying to sing with that sweet tiny mouth.
...I saw SayJ having her first sucker, in between saying mmmhmmm.
...I saw trips as a family of me wedging myself in between those two seats to make somebody happy or trying to nurse someone while still in their carseat.
...I saw things flying at me, feet kicking and hundreds of "Mommy, hold this!"

It is amazing how that little mirror can encompass so much of what I love and care for in this crazy place we call life.
So I think I'll be safer from now on and always check my "rearview" and thank God for all that is in it...crumbs and all.
I don't know what is in your rearview today, or what you wish you saw, but I say be thankful for what you do or don't and know that God has a plan for your life...my rearview mirror and I, we are living proof of just that...

6 comments:

blakley said...

Loved this! So true and sweet! I wrote something similar to this a few months back. love it when God uses simple things to remind us mamas how blessed we are! :)

EMU said...

Very sweet post!

And I've never thought it before, but in that rearview picture Micah looks a lot like SJ. In fact, I wasn't sure which kid it was when I first looked at it! :)

Anonymous said...

i can help with the crumbs, goldfish, puffs and straw papers...
-taron

Amy said...

What a great view!! I love it! Very sweet and true! Thank you for reminding us all to be thankful for our healthy babies!

The Kimmels said...

That's a sweet post. You are definitely very blessed!

Anonymous said...

Loved this Post!!!!! Crumbs and all. mkm