Tuesday, January 10, 2012

So I KNOW I Can Dance...


Mitchell from last season with April and I.

...I didn't say I could dance well, I just said I could dance:) This post will not be interesting to all, or even some probably but it is a post that MUST be written. I love the show "So You Think You Can Dance"! I've watched every season, when possible, and it tends to be a predominately acceptable show for my kiddos to watch (with the exception of some bump and grind, but they'll see that at the prom soon enough). Well, I got word through facebook of course that you could actually watch their auditions, In ATLANTA, at THE FOX!!! I was beyond excited and quickly secured some "tickets". I wasn't so sure it would be legit as it all just seemed so easy and accessible, but they were and we did! April of course was in, but had little knowledge of the show (shhh!), shame shame I know. But Katie, another friend is diehard like me and I just knew she'd be in. She was! We had planned to take another friend who couldn't go at the last minute so Katie's sister Maggie came along.

To say we had a BLAST would be a gross understatement. I seriously could type alot about this day, and I think I will. There are very few days that you just feel God's physical presence and His blessing, but I know you'll think I am crazy but He was so there. I know He shows up when we need Him in crisis and sadness, I feel Him most often in those times. I also know He is always there, but I do think/feel there are days where His presence is just more profound or known. Strange I know that He shows up on SYTYCD but He did. Our day could not have gone smoother and while I know if it hadn't God was still big and on His throne, but since it did it felt like He was saying to us, I love you, even in the little stuff, like the booty shakin'. (maybe He wouldn't/didn't say booty shakin'). But seriously, everyone we encountered was so kind, generous, accomodating...and over and over in the stories of the dancers there were stories of redemption, salvation and beauty. Some of them acknowledged and gave to testimony to the Lord. Others talked in generalizations but it was still a presence that seemed to pervade an unlikely event. Even the judges made spiritual comments. So while we didn't "have church" in the fox, and there were some icky songs, and times where I surely wasn't thinking about the Lord, He still prevailed. So that was our overarching theme of the day...the rest I need to do in bullet points or this could really get out of hand...

~I went with 3 incredibly godly women and was just spurred on to love on people and to worship Him by our conversations. This might seem strange to some of you, but I rarely get more than 5 minutes total in real conversation with friends, in between "Momma!" and "Did you just teetee in your pants??".
~The judges were incredibly kind and spent a ton of time with each dancer. I assumed from the show that they didn't do this with everyone, but they did!
~We sat behind some friends and family of dancers so hopefully we will make it onto tv.
~Katie and I also went on stage AT THE FOX and did some line dance (I'll use that term loosely). I had no idea what I was doing and once on stage I got so excited I am sure I did somethings that indeed did not bring glory to the Lord. Lesson of exactly why God did not make me an exceptional dancer. I couldn't handle it. God should have the spotlight, not me and if I were actually good I might forget that:)
~They really pick great dancers and keep some terrible ones for laughs. That part was sad and made me nervous for them.
~Felt convicted to pray with one of the dancers and April prayed with a belly dancer in between breaks and hopefully both make it through ...and hopefully they give God some credit!
~Mick and Nana kept the kiddos all day so I could stay and watch all day. I didn't worry at all. Definitely a God thing as I hadn't left the kiddos for that long in months.
~ I met Courtney, my absolute favorite dancer from a few season ago. It was so surreal. She was so sweet and tiny!!
~ I attempted to meet Nigel, but was caught about one row from him by one of the producers. Stink!
~I love dance.
Ok, so if you are still reading you must love some SYTYCD. Or you are bored. Either way, this was a day to be remembered for me.

1 comment:

EMU said...

You are TOO cute, Stephanie! Glad you had fun.